Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Get Up and Move!

I recently received the shocking news from my doctor that I was not in good shape. I have copious amounts of a nasty thing called cholesterol and another choice item ominously named uric acid that was swimming around in my joints….lots of it!

That I figure, accounts for the reason I was feeling pooped by the end of the day and had joints that were not performing as they should. And here I thought my daily jog in the rat race would keep me in shape….clearly this corporate job ain’t workin’ out.

I knew something was not right when the nurse took two vials of blood to be tested instead of the usual one when I complained to the doctor that I was tired and in pain recently! She said, the other one was just in case they lost the first one! Not funny when you have a syringe the circumference of a tree trunk stuck in your arm!

So the doctor tells me that I have to do this thing called exercise. I needed a thorough explanation of what exactly this would entail and he made it very clear that I would need to cut down on time spent lying on my belly playing games on my Iphone and instead put on music and MOVE.

Not everything in the world is fair, I quickly learn.

My husband kindly reminded me, later that evening after I had spent time thinking about the doctor’s findings over a quick game of word search on my phone, that we do have a treadmill. I took off the clothes from what I assumed was a place to hang clothes and indeed it was a treadmill that was there. He looked at me with a look that suggested that he had an evil plan cooking in his mind and tells me after a long pause (for added effect) that I should consider actually using the treadmill and to make it ‘fun’, I should listen to music while walking on the darn thing. Did you ever hear of a more evil plan? But of course, this got me thinking of what type of music would actually motivate me to want to get off my butt and move…..


So here I am, spending time choosing what I should listen to while I walk on the dread-mill! And I have to do this for one whole month! How awful!

I have a list and if you feel you have other songs that gets you jigging….please let me know.

• Everybody Dance Now – C & C Music Factory
• Pump It - Black Eyed Peas
• Crazy In Love - Beyonce and Jay Z
• Thanks for the Memories - Fall Out Boy
• Stronger - Kanye West
• Maniac - Michael Sembello (from Flashdance)
• Tearin Up My Heart – Nsync
• Hips Don't Lie – Shakira
• Call Me – Blondie
• Mambo #5 - Lou Bega
• Turn the Beat Around - Gloria Estefan
• Kiss, Kiss - Chris Brown
• Bailamos - Enrique Iglesias
• Promiscuous - Nelly Furtado
• The Way I Are – Timbaland
• Kiss - Prince
• Damn Girl - Justin Timberlake
• Superstition - Stevie Wonder
• Love Game - Lady GaGa
• Stronger - Kanye West

I hope, dear readers that your health is better than mine!

2 comments:

P.Pugnes said...

Good job, the greatest wealth is our health. I like to exercise also but sometimes i find it so lazy to exercise. Self talk in front of the mirror will always inspire me. "Nice leg, cute little tummy" Ha ha, even i don have that drop dead gorgeous body but still exercise can create the confidence within us. I hope you can feel it too by now. Lets walk together for a healthier body Jacq. :)

Carrie said...

Hey, this is a great post! Lots of people are trying to get active, or trying to make an attempt to regularly exercise--me included! I always find it hard to find good, upbeat and fast songs to put onto my iPod to run to on the treadmill at the gym...sometimes I youtube stuff and listen to a whole bunch of songs there and see what I like. Time-consuming though!